Android Engineer, Senior
Every day, Clover devices handle the core card and point-of-sale processing for hundreds of
thousands of merchants. We provide next-generation payment services to the world's largest
payment processor, Fiserv (USD$2.2 trillion processing volume). Behind the scenes, we operate
a cloud platform providing processing, storage and collaboration for merchants, application
developers, service providers and our merchants' customers. Our devices and platform form the
backbone of millions of daily payment interactions between merchants and their customers.
To support all of this, we have a team of engineers working around the clock to ensure our
systems remain operational, secure and compliant with the payment industry standards. Our
Payments Engineers are highly capable problem solvers that are detail-oriented and self-driven.
In this role, we're looking for an experienced Android software engineer to help build, certify and
operate complex payment systems. These systems allow our large fleet of smart payment
terminals to process millions of transactions a day via our cloud infrastructure. You are
pragmatic in balancing priorities and enjoy working in an iterative model where specifications
are constantly changing. Our improvements and features are deployed every two weeks, and
hotfixes may occur every few days.
● Adding new payments features to our existing products(such as dynamic currency
conversion, offline payment support, Android Pay, Apple Pay, mobile wallets etc.)
● Designing and implementing Android applications and services that provide best in class
payment flow experience for customers.
● Troubleshooting issues that may span across a wide range of device types.
● Taking ownership of specific payment components
● Working with international certification teams and test organizations
● Work with product management to clarify and/or create specifications.
● Triaging bugs related to payment applications and related infrastructure
● Performing production support services as part of a regular on call rotation
● Strong application coding skills, Java/Android.
● UI development, optimal performance, adaptation to various screen sizes.
● Expertise in Android - understanding of the platform, experience with Android ROM is a
● Be up to date with the latest Android application development trends.
● Familiar with 3rd party libraries for Android.
● Familiar with databases and schema design.
● Comfort with self-managing multiple high priority projects and working with complex,
● Ability to work under pressure to conform to external standards and meet strict
● Strong communication skills, teamwork, and attention to detail
● Strong debugging, problem-solving, and critical reasoning skills
● Bachelor's degree, or above, in computer science or other engineering discipline, or
equivalent work experience
Nice to have:
● Experience with server technologies, REST web services, SOA, Familiarity with databases
and schema design (we use primarily MySQL)
● RXJava, functional programming, MVP/MVC design patterns.
● iOS and/or other previous mobile development experience.
● Test driven development methodology. UI Automator/Espresso.
● Embedded/MCU/ARM Cortex development, RTOS, C language experience.
● Previous experience in payments industry, specifically working with EMVco or exposure
to PCI/PTS standards would be very helpful but is not required
In order to protect our Clover community, Clover requires all newly hired employees in the United States to be fully vaccinated before their start date. Proof of vaccination will be a condition to hiring. Clover complies with all applicable laws regarding the reasonable accommodation of individuals with disabilities and/or sincerely held religious beliefs.