Clover - Senior Database Engineer
Calling all innovators – find your future at Fiserv.
We’re Fiserv, a global leader in Fintech and payments, and we move money and information in a way that moves the world. We connect financial institutions, corporations, merchants, and consumers to one another millions of times a day – quickly, reliably, and securely. Any time you swipe your credit card, pay through a mobile app, or withdraw money from the bank, we’re involved. If you want to make an impact on a global scale, come make a difference at Fiserv.
Job TitleClover - Senior Database Engineer
Every day, Clover devices handle the core credit card and point-of-sale processing for hundreds
of thousands of merchants. Behind the scenes, we operate a cloud platform providing
processing, storage and collaboration for merchants, application developers, service providers
and our merchants' customers. Our devices and platform form the backbone of millions of
payment interactions between merchants and their customers daily. We are looking for self
starters with a passion for technology
As a Senior DBA at Clover, you can look forward to:
● Working closely with the Engineering and Development teams based in multiple
geographic locations on upcoming feature rollouts
● Perform regular database schema changes with no downtime
● Design and rollout database sharding, create new database clusters/shards for support
of customer data growth. Perform and manage migrations of customer data between
● Solve performance issues and drive optimizations
● Automate recurring DBA tasks
● Take part in DBA team on-call rotation. Manage production incidents and mitigations
● Monitor database environment to maintain high availability and proactively identify and
● Work with and educate our Engineering teams to make good schema design choices
and write efficient queries
● Monitor and improve our backup solution to ensure that our customers; data is always
● Influence peer efficiency by staying on top of the industry, as well as contribute to the
industry on behalf of Clover
Maintain database systems, update software versions
● Create reports, documentation, operating manuals, runbooks including routine tasks and
● Track and apply changes to database objects and data transformations in testing and
● Maintain database continuous integration, delivery, and deployment efforts in support of
● Leverage standard platforms and cloud technologies to improve efficiency and scalability
of data & services
● Apply industry standard security principles and best practices
Requirements for Consideration
● Several years of proven ability with MySQL architecture, replication, sharding,
monitoring, troubleshooting and backups.
● Proven ability on automation and strong use of a scripting languages
● Expert knowledge with SQL and stored routines
● Working knowledge with AWS/GCP database technologies like Aurora, DynamoDB,
Snowflake, CloudSQL etc will be a plus
● Experience working with MySQL in sharded environment and associated challenges with
performance and growth
● Experience working with ProxySQL and Maxscale
● Query tuning, optimization, and monitoring in an enterprise environment.
● Root cause analysis of performance and integrity issues.
● Working experience with Infrastructure as Code (i.e., Terraform), and Configuration
Management tools (i.e., Puppet, Chef, Ansible etc.) is a strong plus
● Experience working with distributed teams and multiple geographically distributed
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills including interpersonal skills
● Prioritize and deliver results effectively on concurrent projects in fast-paced team-
● Highly motivated, well organized, and detail oriented. Strong analytical and problem-
Preferred Skills, Experience, and Education
● Degree/Diploma in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or in a relevant field.
● Desirable skills: Linux Admin (CentOS), Python, Puppet (or Chef), MySQL / PostGreSQL
Admin, RDBMS / SQL / DDL / DML, Terraform, Encryption/certs/security, HAProxy,
TCP/IP, Monitoring: TCollector/ DataDog/ Grafana, YAML / XML, ELK Stack, Git /
GitHub / Gitlab Admin, Bash / Shell / Java, Yum/RPM, Docker, Kubernetes, GCP/AWS,
To support the total well-being of our associates, we take a broad approach to our benefits. We
offer a comprehensive benefits package that provides flexibility and affordability with a variety of
• Health Insurance
• Contributory Pension
• Finance Rewards Program
• Employee Referral Scheme
• Service Awards
• Education Support
• Life Assurance
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• 22 Days Annual Leave (increasing based on service)
We are #FISVProud of our benefits and well-being programs. Our commitment to wellness,
wellness education, preventive services and fitness activities are designed to meet you where
Located in Nenagh, Ireland (approx. 40km east of Limerick and 150km west of Dublin), Fiserv’s
center of excellence is the hub of the next generation of payment technologies and is shaping
how we live our lives and make payments daily.
Awarded as a Great Place to Work (Ireland) in 2018, 2019 and 2020, this organization
specializes in new product development through collaborative agile deployments utilising talent
across Product Management, Software Development, DevOps, PMO, Data Science and IT
Thank you for considering employment with Fiserv. Please:
- Apply using your legal name
- Complete the step-by-step profile and attach your resume (either is acceptable, both are preferable).
What you should know about us:
Fiserv is a global fintech leader with 40,000-plus (and growing) associates proudly serving clients in more than 100 countries. As a FORTUNE™ 500 company, one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, and a top scorer on Bloomberg’s Gender-Equality Index, we are committed to excellence and purposeful innovation.
Our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Warning about fake job posts:
Please be aware of fraudulent job postings that are not affiliated with Fiserv. Fraudulent job postings may be used by cyber criminals to target your personally identifiable information and/or to steal money or financial information.
Any communications from a Fiserv representative will come from a legitimate business email address. We will not hire through text message, social media, or email alone, and any interviews will be conducted in person or through a secure video call. We won’t ask you for sensitive information nor will we ask you to pay anything during the hiring process. We also won’t send you a check to cash on Fiserv’s behalf.
If you see suspicious activity or believe that you have been the victim of a job posting scam, you should report it to your local law enforcement.