Staff Database Engineer
Senior DBA – Cloud Infrastructure
Every day Clover devices handle the core credit card and Point-Of-Sale (POS) processing for hundreds of thousands of merchants worldwide. Behind the scenes we operate a cloud platform providing processing, storage and collaboration for merchants, application developers, service providers and our merchant’s customers.
Our devices and platform form the backbone of millions of payment interactions between merchants and their customers daily. We are looking for self-starters with a passion for technology who want to help us impact millions of merchant’s lives, one transaction at a time.
What does a Clover DBA do?
Every day, Clover devices handle the core credit card and point-of-sale processing for hundreds of thousands of merchants. Behind the scenes, we operate a cloud platform providing processing, storage and collaboration for merchants, application developers, service providers and our merchants' customers.
To support all of this, we have a team of specialist engineers dedicated to ensuring our systems remain operational, safe and secure.
As a Senior DBA at Clover, you can look forward to:
- Working closely with the Engineering and Development teams based in multiple geographic locations on upcoming feature rollouts
- Perform regular database schema changes with no downtime
- Design and rollout database sharding, create new database clusters/shards for support of customer data growth. Perform and manage migrations of customer data between shards
- Solve performance issues and drive optimizations
- Automate recurring DBA tasks
- Take part in DBA team on-call rotation. Manage production incidents and mitigations
- Monitor database environment to maintain high availability and proactively identify and tackle issues
- Work with and educate our Engineering teams to make good schema design choices and write efficient queries
- Monitor and improve our backup solution to ensure that our customers' data is always secure
- Influence peer efficiency by staying on top of the industry, as well as contribute to the industry on behalf of Clover
- Maintain database systems, update software versions
- Create reports, documentation, operating manuals, runbooks including routine tasks and processes
- Track and apply changes to database objects and data transformations in testing and production environments
- Maintain database continuous integration, delivery, and deployment efforts in support of DevOps initiatives
- Leverage standard platforms and cloud technologies to improve efficiency and scalability of data & services
- Apply industry standard security principles and best practices
Requirements for Consideration
- Several years of proven ability with MySQL architecture, replication, sharding, monitoring, troubleshooting and backups.
- Proven ability on automation and strong use of a scripting languages
- Expert knowledge with SQL and stored routines
- Working knowledge with AWS/GCP database technologies like Aurora, DynamoDB, Snowflake, CloudSQL etc will be a plus
- Experience working with MySQL in sharded environment and associated challenges with performance and growth
- Experience working with ProxySQL and Maxscale
- Query tuning, optimization, and monitoring in an enterprise environment.
- Root cause analysis of performance and integrity issues.
- Working experience with Infrastructure as Code (i.e., Terraform), and Configuration Management tools (i.e., Puppet, Chef, Ansible etc.) is a strong plus
- Experience working with distributed teams and multiple geographically distributed markets
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including interpersonal skills
- Prioritize and deliver results effectively on concurrent projects in fast-paced team-oriented environment
- Highly motivated, well organized, and detail oriented. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Preferred Skills, Experience, and Education
- Degree/Diploma in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or in a relevant field.
- Desirable skills: Linux Admin (CentOS), Python, Puppet (or Chef), MySQL / PostGreSQL Admin, RDBMS / SQL / DDL / DML, Terraform, Encryption/certs/security, HAProxy, TCP/IP, Monitoring: TCollector/ DataDog/ Grafana, YAML / XML, ELK Stack, Git / GitHub / Gitlab Admin, Bash / Shell / Java, Yum/RPM, Docker, Kubernetes, GCP/AWS, DNS, LDAP
To support the total well-being of our associates, we take a broad approach to our benefits. We offer a comprehensive benefits package that provides flexibility and affordability with a variety of options including:
- Health Insurance
- Contributory Pension
- Finance Rewards Program
- Employee Referral Scheme
- Service Awards
- Education Support
- Life Assurance
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- 22 Days Annual Leave (increasing based on service)
We are #FISVProud of our benefits and well-being programs. Our commitment to wellness, wellness education, preventive services and fitness activities are designed to meet you where you are.
Located in Nenagh, Ireland (approx. 40km east of Limerick and 150km west of Dublin), Fiserv’s center of excellence is the hub of the next generation of payment technologies and is shaping how we live our lives and make payments daily.
Awarded as a Great Place to Work (Ireland) in 2018, 2019 and 2020, this organization specializes in new product development through collaborative agile deployments utilising talent across Product Management, Software Development, DevOps, PMO, Data Science and IT Security.
At Clover we provide next-generation payment services via Fiserv (our parent company) - the world’s largest payment processor. Behind the scenes, we operate a cloud platform providing processing, storage and alliance for merchants, application developers, service providers and our merchant’s customers. Our machines and platform form the backbone of millions of payment interactions between merchants and their customers daily.
Clover systems use multiple processors (and multiple OSs) on a single device, and some very innovative system architecture design to create a seamless payment experience. We support an open Android based app market, allow secure PIN entry on the main display and support contactless payment through displays. This team also handles various payment certifications like PCI PTS, EMV, UKCS, GBIC certification for our devices, which happens to be one of the most stringent payment security certifications.
We deal with the usual board bring ups, bootloaders, kernels, device drivers, etc that you will find in any tablet/phone device. To make the job more fun, we add a healthy dose of system architecture, security and payment systems. We also partner with vendors, silicon partners and the ODMs, to define, design and deliver Clover products.
Fiserv (Our Parent Company)
Life moves fast. And as it does, we know most people aren’t’t thinking about “financial services” .... But we are.
We’re Fiserv, a global leader in Fintech and payments enabling innovative financial services experiences that are in step with the way people live and work today. The company’s approximately 44,000 associates proudly serve clients in more than 100 countries, so their customers, members and consumers can move money when and where they need it, at the point of thought.
We help people and businesses move money and information every minute of every day. Our solutions connect financial institutions, corporations, merchants and consumers to one another, millions of times a day, behind the scenes, reliably and securely.
Our Aspiration is to move money and information in a way that moves the world. As a FORTUNE 500 company and one of FORTUNE Magazine World’s Most Admired Companies for the seventh consecutive year, we are committed to excellence and purposeful innovation.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Fiserv is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer (Disability/Vet/LGBTQ+), and it is the Company’s policy to make all employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability (as long as the individual is able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), and any other characteristic protected by Law.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce.
Applying for the position
Thank you for considering employment with Fiserv (Clover). Explore the possibilities of a career with Fiserv and Find Your Forward with us. Please:
Apply using your legal name
Complete the step-by-step profile and attach your resume (either is acceptable, both are preferable).
In order to protect our Clover community, Clover requires all newly hired employees in the United States to be fully vaccinated before their start date. Proof of vaccination will be a condition to hiring. Clover complies with all applicable laws regarding the reasonable accommodation of individuals with disabilities and/or sincerely held religious beliefs.