What does a great Backend Server Engineer (Java) do?
Every day, Clover devices and apps handle the core credit card and point-of-sale processing for hundreds of thousands of merchants. Behind the scenes, we operate a cloud platform providing processing, storage and collaboration for merchants, application developers, service providers and our merchants’ customers. To support all of this, we have a team of engineers dedicated to ensuring our systems remain operational, safe and secure. In the coming year the Clover Companion mobile app is expanding services to more international markets. We’re integrating with new payment devices and platforms and driving the requirement for key services within the Clover engineering ecosystem.
We plan to further grow our semi-integrated partnerships, expand services to deal with multi-site and enterprise merchant management, and ramp up existing services for global expansion.
On a daily basis, a Server Engineer working on Clover GO will spend 10% of the time reviewing designs of new features, 50% of the time developing features, 30% of the time investigating/reproducing/resolving bugs, and about 10% of the time creating tests and helpful documentation. We are interested in hiring flexible engineers who are not afraid to be involved in product discussions and work with multiple parts of the stack.
As a Backend Server Engineer you will:
- Own the backend stability and feature set roadmap for the Clover Go and Companion App applications; add new features, resolve bugs, and refactor/ improve code base.
- Identify technical requirements in product meetings and assist the business team with realistic project planning and feature development; translate product requirements into functional, maintainable, extensible software that is in-line with company objectives
- Implement new Clover applications as needed; take ownership of the new product from development through deployment and production monitoring
- Collaborate with Web and Mobile Engineers to determine the best way to maintain low response times as new features are designed
- Work with QA to develop test plans/strategies
- Participate in a regular on call rotation
Basic Skills for consideration:
- Strong Java developer, with ability to prioritize assign and execute tasks throughout the entire SDLC.
- Experience designing and developing using RESTful APIs.
- Knowledge and experience developing solutions for distributed systems architecture including micro-services.
- Familiarity with one or more SQL/RDBMS systems
- Adept at integrating with 3rd party API’s and tools.
- Superior problem-solving skills and debugging capabilities
- Flexible and self driven with a collaborative approach to problem solving
Preferred Skills for consideration:
- Experience with a cloud platform: AWS, Google Cloud, etc.
- Knowledge and experience using ELK stack
To support the total well-being of our associates, Fiserv takes a broad approach to our benefits. We offer a comprehensive benefits package that provides flexibility and affordability with a variety of medical, dental, vision, life insurance and disability options.
We are #FISVProud of our benefits and well-being programs. Our commitment to wellness, wellness education, preventive services and fitness activities are designed to meet you where you are.
Join the Fintech and SaaS revolution that is helping small businesses grow faster and get the technology and insights previously available only to the “big guys.” At Clover, you will be part of an entrepreneurial team working in a fast-paced and high growth environment, with the benefits of a parent company, Fiserv, a global leader in Fintech and payments enabling innovative financial services experiences that are in step with the way people live and work today.
Clover delivers the leading Point of Sale system with an elegant end-to-end solution that incorporates beautiful devices, cloud-based POS software, payments processing, platform API’s for third-party developers, and an ecosystem with over 220 apps. The Clover platform delivers solutions in a scalable and modular fashion that powers tiny merchants through large football stadiums, supporting millions of transactions daily. Our devices and platform form the backbone of millions of payment interactions between merchants and their customers daily. We are looking for self-starters with a passion for technology who want to help us impact millions of merchants' lives one transaction at a time.
We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce. Fiserv is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran
Explore the possibilities of a career with Fiserv and Find Your Forward with us.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.